Part P regs.

Postby old sparky » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi I wonder if you can help me. I am a retired qualified electrician,and my son has planning permission to build an extension consisting of two bed rooms and a bathroom.
Obviously the bedrooms do not come into the regs. The bathroom will only have lighting ( extra low voltage) there will be no electric shower,and the pipes will be plastic.
Do I need to inform the local council before I carry out this work?
old sparky
old sparky
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:31 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 pm

I think you do but it is rather vague on what is and is not required. There is a link on this site under projects / electrics Part P although on old regs. I take it you are aware from 1st July we are on 17th Edition BS 7671:2008 there is already a post on this subject "part p building regs notification" started by "markspark7" it answers many of your questions.

Postby kbrownie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:21 am

You will need to give building controls notification of this work, as you will be installimg new circuits and that comes under the part p regulation. They will charge a fee and inspect your work at first fix and before it's commisioned. Some council are different and will inspect and test your installation and others will expect you to be able to prove the installation is sound. Before certs are provided.
Hope info of use.
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics