Party wall agreement needed for stud wall removal ?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ahouston
Labourer
Labourer

Party wall agreement needed for stud wall removal ?

Post by ahouston » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:21 am

Hi,

I'm considering a opening up a badly designed built in wardrobe in my flat's bedroom which is currently just a cavity with stud wall and a door frame (and a massive waste of space..)

The intention is to knock down the stud wall only to allow a properly fitted cupboard to be installed into the newly widened cavity.

The stud wall currently runs from the load bearing wall we share with the adjacent flat to another load bearing wall - neither of which we intend to touch.

I will of course speak to our new neighbors out of courtesy before we do anything, but do we need to get a party wall agreement signed prior to doing this work ?

Also - any idea whether this would require planning permission from the council ?

Allan.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 am

HI ahouston,
If anything it's building controls that would be involved and not planning, only really need to get building controls involved regard structual walls.
Yes contact your neighbours, I don't see a problem as it's a stud wall and if I understand your post correctly there's a supporting wall between you and your neighbours. I think the doctor was a project on party walls and if you visit the gov.direct website and follow links it does explain the party walls agreement.
Good LUck
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1