Patchy repointing of victorian house
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eileenobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Patchy repointing of victorian house

Post by eileenobrien » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:21 pm

I had the bricks cleaned and the house repointed last week.

I have two questions which I need advice on:

1/ Dose weather struck pointing come over the brick slightly or is it supposed to be flush with the brick?

2/ The pointing is patchy - i.e. dark and light areas - The builder says it is a drying out issued but I'm not convinced. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Patchy repointing of victorian house

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:36 pm

weather struck pointing does come over the brick slightly,and it can be darker in some areas due to it being thicker therefore drying out time will be longer.

eileenobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Patchy repointing of victorian house

Post by eileenobrien » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Thank you for replying.

Can you tell me how long the average drying out time is - as it has now been about 5 days - we have had rain so I assume it may take longer - I have had a look at the pointing and in some areas is comes slightly over and away from the lower brick in other areas it is actually smeared on the lower brick and in other areas it is flush with upper and lower brick - The black patches haven't got any lighter - would there be any other reason for these dark patches - i.e. the mix used? - And, can you tell me what mix should have been used.

thanks

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 pm