pathetic guttering fix needed :(
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

pathetic guttering fix needed :(

by toaster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:24 pm

We have two pieces of guttering that have popped out of their clips and are causing problems when it rains (problems of damp and problems of SWMBO telling me I haven't fixed it for 3 years!).

Problem is there is quite an overhang on the roof and when I tried to get the ladders up to problem #1 I found it too uncomfortable (unsafe!) to lean back and use two hands trying to persuade the gutter back into place. I do have a ladder stay but it doesn't seem to be quite enough.

Problem #2 is a piece right on the corner of the house, again where there is an overhang and on this one I can't work out at all how to get a ladder to it safely as on one side the next door garage is in teh way and from the oyther corner it would be difficult to reach anyway.

I've asked a couple of roofing people who were in the area if they wouldn't mind sorting these out and they've said yes but never come back :( It seems a pathetically small job to call someone out for but it's been dragging on for ages.

Is there a technique or tool I need to be aware of or should I just bite the bullet and call someone out. (frankly it would be done in 10 mins!).

Cheers,
T

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:09 pm

ladder stand off is what you need
bob

toaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

standoff/stay

by toaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:48 pm

I have one - a white enamelled on which is fine for some stuff - but it doesn't get me far enough out to get past and over the gutter - do they come in different sizes or is there a way of fixing it to get more distance?

T

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

by toptips » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:45 pm

is there room for a small tower.

saj
Labourer
Labourer

gutter

by saj » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:01 pm

hi if it was me i would put your ladder on the gutter the push the clip back in but i am a roofer by trade if your not sure get some one in dont risk falling for a ten min job as you said good look

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm

if you want to be totally safe then hire a tower for the day. make the most of it and clean the gutters and upstairs windows while you are there!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:08 am