Peeling paint when pulling off masking tape?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mikecampbell125
Labourer
Labourer

Peeling paint when pulling off masking tape?

Post by Mikecampbell125 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi there were doing up my sons room just now it's going yellow on the top and blue on the bottom but we're having problems when we mask off the wall for the line and take it off again the paint is peeling off does anyone have any idea what could be causing this one wall is ok but the others are peeling.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Peeling paint when pulling off masking tape?

Post by proptech » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Mike

The answer could well be the type of tape you're using. Try a low tack masking such as Frogtape delicate surface. Available from Screwfix code 54939. or a proper decorators merchant.
Leave the paint to harden fully before masking over, and remove the tape as soon as possible after completion.

Mikecampbell125
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Mikecampbell125 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:20 pm

hi prop tech thanks for the reply I should of mentioned we used lo tac tape and the room has been left to dry since last weekend it's peeling off in huge strips

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:20 pm

In that case it would seem to be a preparation problem. Is it just your paint coming off, or is it taking a previous coating with it ?
What prep did you do before painting ? and what was on the wall before you started ?

NolanJ
Labourer
Labourer

Post by NolanJ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi Mike,

It could be the tape your using. Try a low-tack masking tape - this can be brought from any decorating stores & supermarkets. Don't leave it overnight or for more than 2 hours. Best peeling the tape off as soon as you have finished painting.

I hope this helps!

ChrisKia
Labourer
Labourer

Post by ChrisKia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Try to draw a line with silicone to mask off the wall.

DIYDoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DIYDoctor2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Surfaces must be prepared properly before painting so that the paint can properly adhere to the surface. It should be clean of any grease and any lose material before you paint.

See more here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/wall-and-ceiling-preparation-for-painting.htm

If you need to mask off the paint make sure you allow the paint to fully cure before you use masking tape (check on the paint tin for advice on the paint you are using) and then use a low tack masking tape like this one by Everbuild https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superstore/everbuild-low-tack-masking-tape-50mm-x-25m.html

Loads more decorating advice here https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/diy-how-to-type/painting.htm

katie067
Labourer
Labourer

Post by katie067 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:10 am

i know it's an old discussion, just wanted to add that 'delicate' frog tape lifts off 30-odd year old oil based paint I couldn't scrape off myself :) not to mention freshly painted emulsion...

tried another type and it's hardly holding onto the surfaces like door or window frames or skirting.

best way is don't use it, but it you have to, remove when paint is still damp, it does more damage to dry paint that a little uneven mark here or there that can be masked.

HandyMandy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by HandyMandy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:56 am

I have been told it's best to peel it when it is 90% dry as it holds in place but doesn't become too 'fixed'

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:37 am