pilot light
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
domino
Labourer
Labourer

pilot light

Post by domino » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:14 pm

HI,

When there are very high winds my pilot light keeps going out. Can you help?

Thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Depends on the type of boiler you have, for balanced flues there's not alot can be done apart from ensuring the pilot is clean and there's a good blue flame.

If it's a back boiler, then check the flue terminal is in place and correct. Also check pilot is clean and a good blue flame.

What make and model of boiler is it ?

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

Post by roger196 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 pm

As this will require dismantling on the gas side, I would advise using a CORGI bloke. It might be the time for a service anyway.
So that you know what he should be doing/checking.
Dirt on the pilot jet, clean with vacuum cleaner,
Dirt on thermocouple , clean
Weak thermocouple, either replace or check with tester
Pilot light too small, check for obstructions in supply pipe to pilot, then adjust gas pressure to pilot.
If these do not cure the problem, check the down draught diverter and location of flue terminal.

domino
Labourer
Labourer

Post by domino » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:52 pm

Thanks ever so much for your reply. I will arrange for all the things you suggest to get done as soon as poss. Thanks again.

[quote="roger196"]As this will require dismantling on the gas side, I would advise using a CORGI bloke. It might be the time for a service anyway.
So that you know what he should be doing/checking.
Dirt on the pilot jet, clean with vacuum cleaner,
Dirt on thermocouple , clean
Weak thermocouple, either replace or check with tester
Pilot light too small, check for obstructions in supply pipe to pilot, then adjust gas pressure to pilot.
If these do not cure the problem, check the down draught diverter and location of flue terminal.[/quote] :D

domino
Labourer
Labourer

Post by domino » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:54 pm

It's a balanced flue "Ideal" boiler - not sure of model. Thanks for your help. Will get points you mention checked out. Thanks again.

[quote="htg engineer"]Depends on the type of boiler you have, for balanced flues there's not alot can be done apart from ensuring the pilot is clean and there's a good blue flame.

If it's a back boiler, then check the flue terminal is in place and correct. Also check pilot is clean and a good blue flame.

What make and model of boiler is it ?[/quote] :)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 am