PLANNING PERMISSION FOR A GARAGE
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
harishlathia
Labourer
Labourer

PLANNING PERMISSION FOR A GARAGE

by harishlathia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:48 pm

I have a 19m long by 5.7 metre wide garden . I propose to build a garage/shed at the other end from my house. I hope to build it 5.46x5.46m square garage with an eves height of 2250mm, ridge height of 3950mm. I have looked at the planning portal website and I feel confused. Would the authorities allow this in principle? Do I have to build 2.5 m from all borders if the eves are 2.5 m high. is the ridge height of 3950 on the centre-line of the garden ok. I live in London NW9 and I am not in a conservation area etc. My neighbours have no objections to my proposal.
please help me.
I TALKED TO THE LOCAL AUTHORITY PLANNERS AND THEY GAVE ME THE IMPRESSION I HAD TO BUILD 2.5 METRES FROM ALL MY GARDEN BOUNDARIES. THIS DOES NOT SOUND RIGHT. HAVE I MISUNDERSTOOD WHAT THEY WERE SAYING?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:17 am

As I understand it,
If the build is within 1 metre of boundary wall(s) it can not be built above a height 2.5 metres (That is the total height at the highest point) and made of non combustable materials. But they may insist that roof is made of same material of your house roof.
The maximum area of the build can not be over 30sq metres this will include roof over hang and guttering.
KB

holboob
Apprentice
Apprentice

by holboob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:47 pm

there is no reason why you would have to build 2.5m from your boundary. you can build up to 2.5m high without needing planning pemission i.e a flat roof, but more than this requires an application to the local authority. If it is not going to have an impact on neighbouring properties i.e blocking out sunlight etc then there should be little problem with gaining permission.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1