Please help.Re block paving emergency.
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
baggie00001
Labourer
Labourer

Please help.Re block paving emergency.

by baggie00001 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:05 am

I have my driveway being block paved. The company came today and used a digger to dig out the driveway. The drive has a slight slope towards the house. They put in some type of hardcore which looks like small jagged stones and dirty sand mixed together. In some places it is 3 inches thick but in others it is only 1 inch thick. They used a wacker machine to compact the hardcore but when i parked my vehicle on the hardcore. My tyres have left a clear impression in the hardcore. It has compressed the hardcore approx 10mm where my tyres have been. Is this normal?
I have read on some diy help pages that the hardcore should be at least 100mm thick. Also because the drive slopes towards the house i have read that the finished level should be 150mm below the damp course.
I have raised my concern with the contractor and he has said that he has to put more hardcore in. The trouble is that if he puts more hardcore in by the time the sand and pavers go in the finished height will be approx 80mm below the damp course.
What should i do?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 pm

The drive will slope towards the house and the rain may run down causing a puddle in front of the house. Therefore, you need a means of loosing this water.
If you leave a space between the surface of the new drive and the house of about 15 inches wide and dig down to the foundations and fthen ill the space with shingle you will create a French drain that will collect the water and let it soak away in its own time.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:13 pm