Plumbers Training School Part 2
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Plumbers Training School Part 2

by greengrass » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 pm

Hopefully the pic is clearer. In a Bungalow just to clarify.
Airing cupboard in Shower room.
The red pump at back is a 'Danfoss' and nothing to do with central heating. The top gate valve is closed turns about 1/2" (play) then stops dead. Bottom don't know if its on or off same thing can't turn it. Haven't a clue what its for I don't think it was for the old shower. The top pipe was entering the side of old tank now In top of new tank. Kitchen 33mts away but can't see its for that otherwise I'd get no hot water.
Am I correct the two white boxes in the pipework are motorized valves but why two in same system when its not separate. Top is Sunvic bottom one in vertical pipe is a Satchwell.
Brass fitting in blue c/h pump pipe believe to be auto air expeller.
however looking at the pipework it appears a bad DIY job.
Perhaps being too harsh as not being trained done better with water not gas which I wont touch, can but won't.

Sorry about the waffle its the only way to explain adding pics,

To resize pictures to fit select your jpeg picture/photo don’t open it. Right click on the picture to bring up a menu. Click on ‘edit’. And a large image page should show. At top left you’ll see ‘resize’ click on this and a Resize/skew window opens showing percentage. Select the pixels circle and the value boxes will change to amount of pixels. Change the Horizontal to 375 the vertical changes automatically. Un-check the ‘maintain aspect ratio’ click on Ok then save add the 375 to end of existing name or rename so the original stays says size before you started, you then have two the same but different in size. Go back to your message in Diy doc scroll down see File name browse and ‘add image’ where you add photos/pics , click browse find your resize picture click to select and click ‘open’ then it goes back to diy doc click ‘Add image’ if successful it goes back to your question and scoll down to ‘POSTED ATTACHEMENTS see the image title you then know its on their. Scroll down select Preview and there is your picture and question. Job done. Don’t forget 375 pixels will do it.
Attachments
IMG_0004 resized 350.jpg

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Plumbers Training School Part 2

by proptech » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi greengrass
Many thanks for the photo information.
Back to your airing cupboard. - Yes the two boxes are motorized valves. Satchwell and Sunvic are the same manufacturer (they changed their name) the bottom one is quite old, and of a type that motors both to open and to close, most are spring return these days, top one could be, but can't tell from the photo. I would expect one is for heating, the other for hot water, being controlled via a cylinder thermostat.
The pump at the back is a Grundfos, not Danfos. the brass thing is indeed an auto air valve.
Unfortunately I can't, from the photo work out what way the pipework is connected, what is tee'd off what, or what the pump at the back is doing. I see two gate valves at the top, do you mean the one on the pump supply ? The one at the bottom, if it is on the pipe from the bottom of the cylinder is a balance valve, and is used to prevent the hot water 'robbing' the heating. It'll be set, so don't try to move it.

The installation doesn't look that bad, I've seen thousands worse, and I do mean thousands. I can't say a lot more without loads more info. The only thing that may be suspect is that Satchwell valve, due to it's age.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Plumbers Training School Part 2

by greengrass » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:48 am

Thanks propTech will take some more pics there seems to be more gate valves in the system than the local plumbing shop. I'm going to try get better photos.

The Grundfos pump is fed from top of the tanks(from the side of the old tank) engineer fitted it to the top of the new tank. The outflow from pump through floor and goes I know not where. I don't think it ever worked since we moved in in 2004 something I should have but didn't check. Couldn't trace it when the floor had to be replaced as no room to get under the floor all pipe work in the way and did not want to remove the insulation as it would not have bee easy to get at it properly. So am resigned to leaving it alone as long as no leaks appear. Can't be for kitchen 33mt away as I thought because the pipe feeding in the top(flow in) is hot. the pipe below (out flow from pump) is cold so I am assuming both gate valves are.
Will post again some pics only if it can show clear what's what.
Hope you have copied and pasted the pic sizing instructions.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1