plumbers trainning
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jalalali
Labourer
Labourer

plumbers trainning

by jalalali » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi everyone, can anyone help me or suggest me what is the best, easy and most importantly the cheapest way to become a proffessional plumber. What sort of trainning and certificates should I look for. I work as a handyman. Thank you

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi jalalali,

Go to your local college and get yourself on a ‘City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Basic Plumbing Studies’ course, one day a week for two years, this is the basic entry level. About £900

You can do a foundation course, which will be one night a week, however this one is very basic.

You could get on a condensed course for six weeks, however you will need to do a lot of reading up first.

Go to waterstones and get a copy of JTL plumbing NVQ and technical Certificatr level 2’ book, £23.

Regards

Skids

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:39 am

... then go on and do your NVQ level 3. Don't go for the fast track or condensed courses, as I know people with their own plumbing business and they and many others wouldn't employ you.

I served my time, 4 years apprenticeship.
NVQ level 2, NVQ level 3

I know alot of courses will only take you in if you are empyed by a plumbing company, as you require on site experience to pass the courses. Class and workshop work is not enough.

htg

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:58 pm

good morning
i think the other comments are quite right
but taking into consideration that you are working as a handyman probarly self employed id guess then time and money becomes important in different ways to some one who say is working for an employer and can afford to take the longer route
depending on your financial postion and work load and plans for your business it may be better to do the six week courses
i think there is advantages in both ways of learning
good luck
bob

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:54 am