Plywood partition wall for closet?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

Plywood partition wall for closet?

by The Riviera Kid » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:52 am

Hi folks,

Quick one for you. Are there any drawbacks to using plywood instead of plasterboard to partition off a very small portion of kitchen? I'm looking to partition a small walk in cupboard.

I'm yet to try my hand at plastering, so I'm thinking it might be easier to use plywood ontop of the studwork, given the small size. The finished appearance shouldn't prove too much of a problem (I hope) as I've experience wet sanding and re-painting some old plywood pipe boxwork - which has came out nice, plus the wall would be partially obscured by a fridge, and the last of the kitchen units and tiles.

What do you folks think? Would the material be suitable, and are there any applicable regulations on fire resistance/safety that might apply? The width of the finished partition would be under 2 metres.

Don't shout at me if it sounds like a loony idea lol! :wink:

Thanks.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:34 pm

I Don't think you need to worry about fire regs for a walk in cupboard. Of course you can use plywood, but plasterboard is better for a professional finish. I understand you may be worried about plastering, but there is no need. Plasterboard can be painted on without any further finish. You can buy a special thin tape to cover the joints so the overall finish will look just like a fully plastered wall.

The Riviera Kid
Tradesman
Tradesman

by The Riviera Kid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am

Thanks for replying plumbob, that sounds like a good idea.

Am I correct in thinking that painting the plasterboard will be the same as painting bare plaster - ie a thin watered down coat of matt emulsion to start with?

Also, am I correct in thinking that the tiled section under the wall units would need to be pva sealed before the tiles go on?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Painting plasterboard is just like painting wallpaper as the surface is basically, well, paper so no special treatment is necessary.

As for PVA, well that is a can of worms! We often PVA before tiling especially if the wall is exceptionally porous, and the instructions on the can recommend it for that use anyway, but there are many posts on here that say DON'T use PVA as the adhesive is then sticking to the PVA not the wall etc.

I think you should mainly use PVA to stabilise any powdery or loose plaster and tile before it sets completely.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:21 am

Sorry to disagree with PB but use an acrylic primer like BAL APD which properly penetrates the surface. PVA just sits on top.

I'm one of those who says do not use PVA before tiling. Plastering yes but definately NOT tiling.

If you have loose or powdery plaster cut it out and redo. Otherwise your tiles are stuck to loose plaster. Oops is that the nice new tiles all over the floor?

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:32 pm