positioning of a cooker in the kitchen
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
perfect princess
Labourer
Labourer

positioning of a cooker in the kitchen

by perfect princess » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:08 pm

i live in a council house and am having a kitchen and bathroom refit. my old kitchen has to be changed as my cookers position doesnt have any space to position your saucepan handles to the side or back. They say new regulations says that you have to have 300mls worksurface either side of your cooker which i agree with. But where they want to position my cooker to allow this new work surface either side of my cooker puts it into my eyes a more danderous position they want to put it onto a wall right next to my inward opening backdoor. I have a 2 yr old daughter who can run into the kitchen from the garden pushing open this back (inward opening )door as there is only 300 mls of surface before the self standing cooker and hob, this would mean that the backdoor would hit me directly standing at the cooker. If i was lifting a saucepan full with boiling water either i or my 2 yr old or both of us would be severly scalded. Can you please let me know if there are any regulations for cookers to be placed next to an inward opening door. I would be very grateful for any feedback on this subject :?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:54 pm

I am not aware of a saucepan handle regulation, as far as the door is concerned, it sounds like a potential hazard. I'd suggest you put your thoughts forward to the council.
Do you know where the saucepan handle regulation comes from, which document?
Is the cooker/oven/hob Gas or Electric?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:25 pm

I have heard about the 300mm space, but am not sure if this is actually a regulation or not.

I can say, it has nothing to do with saucepan handles! The clearance is required to reduce the effect should a pan catch fire on the hob.

Perhaps you could point out that the same "rule" requires a 1200mm free area immediately in front of the cooker which obviously with your opening door, you won't have.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:38 pm

There is a guideline regarding socket-outlets being 300mm to side of a hob, again not a regulation but a guide, the actual regulation is that it is not directly above the hob.

Miley5
Labourer
Labourer

by Miley5 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:44 am

I'd suggest you put your thoughts forward to the council.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:55 am