Power Flush
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Short Pete
Labourer
Labourer

Power Flush

by Short Pete » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:16 pm

We have been told by our local plumber that our central heating system needs to be "power-flushed", as there is a lot of dirt in the system and this will eventually cause the pump to go.

He has quoted us £450. Does anyone know whether this is reasonable?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:02 pm

Ok - so spend £450 on a powerflush to save the pump that would cost about £80 to replace. I'd understand a customer being sucked in - if they said it would damage the boiler that would cost around £1000 to replace.

Alot of plumbers like to do power flushes because it's quick easy money. If there's sludge/debri's etc in the system, then removing and flushing radiators - flushing pipework a few times hot and cold will remove most of it, or add system cleanser for the recommended time.

The key to prevent this is to add inhibitors after the flushing, this will prevent the build up again.

What's the problem with the system ? radiators not heating ? cold spots on radiators ? if everything works fine - a few flushes and inhibitors is alot cheaper and more effective.

dodgepott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dodgepott » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:51 pm

to power flush a 7 rad system takes about 6 hrs + to do the job properly .It may be the only way to flush out stubborn build up of sludge .Power flushing cost start around £350.

Short Pete
Labourer
Labourer

Power Flush - More Details

by Short Pete » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks for all the responses so far.

The plumber was originally called out because the pump had gone. After replacing it , he found that the new one wasn't working as efficiently as a new pump should, so after investigation, he discovered all the sludge in the system - he showed me the stuff and it was pitch black with lots of debris in.

He says that unless the system is flushed through, the new pump will go again and the boiler will eventually pack in as it is having to work too hard to get heat around the system.

A power flush sounds logical to me, but then I'm a complete novice, so any further feedback much appreciated!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:19 pm

It's up to you, I would still try removing and flushing radiators and pipework flush a few times when the system is hot, get it so that the water is running as clear as possible.

Add sludge remover (sentinel x400) £15ish and use heating as normal it just says for a minimum of 2 hours, no maximum time. Drain and flush radiators and pipework a few times and add inhibitors (sentinel x100) £15ish.

If you are a capable DIYer the labour is free, so £30 worth a try.

You haven't said the heating is not working, that any radiators do not heat up or there are cold spots on the radiators. So you may have caught it where it can be saved without spending too much money on it.

Like I say it's up to you, but for £30 and say a maximum 2 days work, one day to flush and add sludge remover and one day to flush and add inhibitor - before spending £450 - i'd give it a go. You can't make it worse.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1