Prefab house
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

Prefab house

by trand » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi all , doe's anybody know why my house cost nearly double to insure?, built 1962, Wades, concrete sections, but still classed as Prefab, I have done loads of research, even contacted Wades, insurance companies, etc, but still cannot get an answer, it is of no higher risk of falling down, or burning down then a standard brick built house, and the cost of a complete re-build would be the same as any 3bed house, so why the high pemium???

DeeInHalifax
Labourer
Labourer

by DeeInHalifax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:14 pm

My guess is that since the building is classed as prefab the insurance companies assume that the home is made from lower quality material.

Would it be possible to have the home inspected again and reclassified?

Do you have a mortgage on the home? If so, your mortgage company might be able to insure the home, and if they want to charge an outrageous amount, they should be more willing to answer your questions than other insurance companies.

Maybe a building inspector could give you more detail about why your home is in the prefab class. If there are minor changes to be made, there might be a simple fix for you to get your home classed as better quality and at that point you might be able to get cheaper insurance.

Hope this helps!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:11 am