prefabricated partion wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Riko
Labourer
Labourer

prefabricated partion wall

by Riko » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:41 pm

I have removed some cupboards from an internal wall between the downstairs toilet and the kitchen. This wall is only about 50mm thick consisting of two sheets of plasterboard with squares of cardboard between. I think the correct term is prefabricated partition, however when I removed the cupboards there is a large hole about 300mm x 300mm the nearest wooden baton is about another meter away. any advice on how to fill this hole before skimming ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Riko,
where the hole is on inside of the plasterboard cavity, i'd but some timber around the edges, screw it in so it overlaps the the hole and the wall boards. You can then use this to fix a board in to the 300mm hole. That can be taped and plastered or taped and joint filled depending which method you'd prefer to use. I'd also insulate it to.
Good Luck
KB.

ricky68
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: prefabricated partion wall

by ricky68 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:40 pm

this form of partitioning is called paramount,common in the 80s and 90s. timber battens on floor and ceilings and the 8x3 sheets slide into place

Riko
Labourer
Labourer

by Riko » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:31 pm

Kbrownie,
thanks for you reply but i still do'nt understand how to secure the timber, there is nothing to nail it to ? the nearest 'other wood' is a vertical baton further along which would mean making the whole much bigger ?
ricky68 has described it better than i did there's a wooden baton running along the floor and another at ceiling height. the vertical ones are too far away?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Hi Riko, sorry if you didn't understand my explaination. I am aware of this type of board had great fun in 1980's with them.
You are not nailing to any timber. You are using the edge of the plasterboard around the hole, tuck the timber inside the hole so it goes underneath the board. You then screw the plasterboard to fix the wood in place, leaving enough timber showing in the hole part to screw you 300x300mm plasterboard repair too.
KB

Riko
Labourer
Labourer

by Riko » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:53 pm

KB,
many thanks, i've removed some of the cardboard squares in the hole and made the hole a square shape, placed some timber in the whole, then as you said secured a new piece of plasterboard to that.
once again many thanks

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:46 am