Preparation for Re-skimming a wall
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fernanman
Labourer
Labourer

Preparation for Re-skimming a wall

by fernanman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

I've just bought my first house and found that one of my walls is in urgent need or a re-skim. I am new to this plastering malarky and am fully expecting to make a complete hash of it, but i'm not going to learn if i don't try.

I've managed to remove the patchy skim layer of the original plaster with a hammer anc chisel (finding that originally they barely keyed the wall at all, which i think explains the flaking of the skim).

So as i understand it, after much time searching the internet for help and vid's, i have to clear the remaining undercoat of plaster from and dust or loose bits, then PVA the wall a couple of times and then get on with the plastering.

Please can someone help me with the below questions:

- Does the above (although an idiot's guide) sounds about right

-Should i be using PVA or should i create a new key in the old dry plaster or both?

-How much PVA should i need to do a wall about 2M high by 4.5m Across and how many coats should i use

-How much Plaster should i need to do a wall about 2M high by 4.5m Across

Many Thanks
F

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

plastering

by welsh brickie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:46 pm

you will need 2,5lt of pva and 2 bags of multi finish plaster that will be plenty.with multi finish plaster the setting time is longer,so you have more time to trowel it.
Mix the pva with the required amount of water displayed on the tub,I cant remember the ratio,cover the wall twice or good measure.

trand
Apprentice
Apprentice

by trand » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 am

sounds about right to me, are you down to the origanal base coat and is it sound? as in pretty firm? if so then 2.5ltr pva will be plenty, mix it about 50/50 with water and yes a couple of coats, a wall that size is a bag of multi-coat, do not try and do bits, do the whole wall, clean your bucket etc, fill it with clean water,
put the plaster on the whole wall, then go over it again, have a cup of tea, then trowel the wall getting it pretty level, have a fag, don't make the mistake of keep troweling, and try and do long sweeps with the trowel rather then little finicky ones, most of all don't panic!
flick a bit of water on now and then, as it sets, apply more water and put more pressure on your trowel, ...good luck you will get there

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:11 am