Prepare Old Wall for New Plaster and Wallpaper
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

mth
Apprentice
Apprentice

Prepare Old Wall for New Plaster and Wallpaper

by mth » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi all,

As my first bigger DIY project for my new home I want to give the walls of the second bedroom a new finish. The building is a 1930 purpose build flat and you could tell that there are several old layers of wallpaper, paint and whatnot.

After I removed the wallpaper with a steam remover, patches of the underlying layers came partially off in small patches as well. I try now to identify, what exactly these layers are and how I need to replace them to prepare the wall for a new finish.

I have attached two pictures that show two different walls of the same room. It seems that used materials are slightly different.
I believe they are:

wall1.jpg

- white top layer: paint (thin, smooth, comes off in flakes)
- orange: finishing plaster(?) (thin, smooth, comes off in flakes, but is rather sandy)
- grey: the thick base plaster

wall2.jpg

- grey top layer: finishing plaster
- orange: base plaster (seems thick and sturdy, covers most of the wall)
- white, uneven patch: I guess that was some repairing work? it covers a smaller bit of the wall at the same layer as the orange bit

My plan is now to remove any paint and finishing plaster, scrub the base plaster smooth, wash it and the use lining paper to mask the slightly uneven wall and prepare it for a paint.

My worries are now if I need to apply a finishing plaster or if it is good enough to put the lining paper directly on the base plaster. Also I do not exactly know how to deal with the white "repairing" areas (picture 2).

Any hints and tips are highly appreciated!

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 pm