Prepping Floor With Damaged Screed for new Tiles in Kitchen Conservatory
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iknowcraig
Labourer
Labourer

Prepping Floor With Damaged Screed for new Tiles in Kitchen Conservatory

by iknowcraig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi all, I have a tiled floor in the kitchen/conservatory and quite a few are starting to come loose. They weren't very level to begin with so I thin the previous owner did a bit of a bodge job!

I have got an SDS tile remover bit and have removed a small section to see how it would go, it is working great but is damaging the screed below and exposing insulation in some area's (and the underfloor heating cables, but if I have to redo this thats not the end of the world). It appears the screed is much thinner (10-15mm) than I believe it should be so this is likely why it is coming up)

Seeing as theres some big chunks coming loose in places, what is the best way to prep the floor for new tiles once I have all the old up? I was wondering if self levelling compound would sort this out? I have atached a picture of the state of my test section!
http://i.imgur.com/4lSj5Nw.jpg
Thanks

hasan5525
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Prepping Floor With Damaged Screed for new Tiles in Kitchen Conservatory

by hasan5525 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 pm

As it’s common to tile from a kitchen into a conservatory, pay attention to your sub-floors. If you have two different sub-floors, you’ll want to ensure you use expansion joints and anti-fracture membranes to make that transition between floors seamless and stable.

So as you can see, choosing tiles for the floors in your conservatory is a fantastic option for nearly any style.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:37 pm