protecting cornicing during ceiling removal.
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mark hopps
Labourer
Labourer

protecting cornicing during ceiling removal.

by mark hopps » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:45 pm

Hi my first posting. I am needing to remove and replace my plaster and lathe ceiling in my 1874 home as it is significantly cracked beneath the wallpaper. I intend to replace this with a "board and skim". However I need advice as I am concerned about damaging or losing some of the deep decorative plaster cornicing at the wall/ceiling joint. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ginga
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ginga » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:34 pm

This is what we do , weather it is the right way is another story but it works for us , 1st we find out where the joists run by making a few holes in the ceiling , then we screw with a washer all along the edge of the cornice , maybe a inch or so away then , carefully we get a pad saw and cut line through the lath and plaster a couple of inches away from the cornice once you have gone all round the room you can then take down the old ceiling , replace with plasterboard , you will probably have some bonding out to do unless you are lucky to match up with the couple of inches of ceiling that is left , scrim the joint between old and new , pva the old and Bobs your uncle , saved yourself a few hundred quid

Ginga

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:13 am