Putting Carpet on Wooden Parquet Flooring
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RobDoesDIYDoctor
Labourer
Labourer

Putting Carpet on Wooden Parquet Flooring

by RobDoesDIYDoctor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:49 pm

My house was built in the late 1960s and has the original wooden parquet flooring in the lounge, dining room and hallway. As far as I can tell the house has a proper damp proof course, which is below the screed on which the parquet floor has been glued using what appears to be a thin layer of bitumen glue: so it does not seem that my wooden parquet floor with its bitumen glue is intended to act as a damp proof course.

Currently I am planning to put underlay (probably Cloud 9 Cirrus) and carpet down on top of the wooden parquet flooring. I am considering choosing a carpet that is 100% polypropylene, as I like the colour options available and the stain resistance and stain protection aspects of polypropylene carpet. However, I am wondering if a carpet that is 100% polypropylene is suitable for laying on underlay on top of a wooden parquet floor. I am querying this because I have seen a couple of reports on the Internet of wooden parquet floors ‘buckling’ when a polypropylene carpet has been laid on top of them.

I should be grateful for any advice.

tileclipproman
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Putting Carpet on Wooden Parquet Flooring

by tileclipproman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Parquet floors do not buckle,the worst that can happen is some of the pieces of wood may come adrift,just check the stability of the floor before carpeting.
Take into consideration that bitumen will trap moisture which can cause
discolouration of carpets all though instances are rare.

Lucyca
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Putting Carpet on Wooden Parquet Flooring

by Lucyca » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:26 am

Hey
Putting Carpet on Wooden Parquet Flooring is fine, you can do this. But you have to think two things; one- allergen issue, two cleaning the dust.

It produces more allergens that may cause of allergy-related sickness.
Hardwood floor you can easily clean by a usual mop, but for carpeted floor, you need specific robot floor cleaner.
No worry, there are lots of robotic vacuum cleaners available on the market carpeted floor cleaning.
Get an image.

So, you can make your decision independently.

Thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:33 pm