Putting up pictures on unbelievably hard wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
redhed
Labourer
Labourer

Putting up pictures on unbelievably hard wall

Post by redhed » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:29 am

Hi there!

I'm in a 1950s house with an extension circa 2000. I'm putting up pictures with the standard brass picture hooks and nails. In the old part of the house where I assume I'm going into brickwork, this is fine. Easy as pie. But in the extension (unfortunately this is where most of the pictures need to go) it's [i]impossible[/i] Fairly heavy-duty brass nails just bend, and the plaster soaks up the vibration and falls off. :cry:

When I discussed the outbuilding with the vendor (built at the same time), he said the walls had been built in supabloc. Though he was a plasterer and may have acquired materials from various jobs so it could be made of pretty much anything, really, up to and including the stuff they build nuclear bunkers out of. :shock: It's grey, anyway.

I really, really don't want to have to use a drill on this. (I'm a feebler than usual girlie and I hate using hammer drills, they're too damn heavy for me to keep steady) Is there a fixing which will get through this stuff without drilling?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi redhed,
Probally not, I can't think of one. Unless you glue with a strong adhesive then it depends on weight of pictures and condition of plaster.
Don't get me wrong all for equal rights but is there not a someone that can drill the hole for you?
Best of luck
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:42 am