quote for new boiler etc.
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
liz gamlin
Labourer
Labourer

quote for new boiler etc.

by liz gamlin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:34 pm

I have been quoted £2,400 plus VAT for a installing a new Vaillant 831 Ecotec to same place as old boiler, removing hot and cold water tanks, powerflush. What do you think of this price? I know the company and have been happy with their work in the past?

simon@hwch
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simon@hwch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:30 pm

I do all the boiler quotes for my firm.

If this industry could quote via email or phone, the nation's boiler swaps would all be much cheaper. Because two tradesmen would not waste hours of their time quoting for a job that they each have only a 33% chance of earning a living from (assumes most householders get three quotes).

But unfortunately every house is different, and a job that could take two days in house A could take 4 in house B. I don't know which you have.

So it is impossible to say whether your quote is reasonable for the task in hand.

One cannot also guarantee that the Powerflush will be done properly (there is a World of difference between a 1 hour and 6 hour Powerflush).

Then you have thermostatic rad valves. We always fit Honeywell VT200s which are amongst the best you can buy, but they cost £18.00 each; I wonder how many customers even notice when their quote doesn't mention the brand and they get cheapy £5.00 imported ones.

So all I can advise is to make sure you are comparing apples with apples. We give 5yr warranties on Vaillants, surprising how many do not notice that they are getting 2yrs.

Read the quote carefully and compare the spec of everything not just the boiler; if someone cares about what they do and how they do it, the spec will give you all the model names and manufacturers - if it doesn't you will be getting cheapo stuff, like nasty imported electrical controls.

The devil is in the detail.......

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 am

good point well made.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1