Radials or rings for electric ovens?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tezza100
Labourer
Labourer

by Tezza100 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 pm

I'm installing a new kitchen and will be moving from gas to 2 new single electric ovens (3.65kw each) and an induction hob (7.2 kw) I only have one direct cooker feed (6mm wire) although I do have a new kitchen ring and an old unused ring available. My question is, can I get away with using the existing cooker feed for the hob & putting one cooker on the new ring and one on the old? I'm hoping for some practical rather than textbook advice as running new radial would be a real pain.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Tezza100,
I'd say you'd be able to run the two ovens of the same 6mm cable using a single cooker isolation switch, but your hob will need 6mm cable too and you can't put all three on same circuit. A radail circuit would be more senisable.
Won't offer any jargon but advise you call an electrician who is registered with domestic installers scheme.
KB

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Radials or rings for electric ovens?

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:46 am

[quote="Tezza100"]I'm installing a new kitchen and will be moving from gas to 2 new single electric ovens (3.65kw each) and an induction hob (7.2 kw) I only have one direct cooker feed (6mm wire) although I do have a new kitchen ring and an old unused ring available. My question is, can I get away with using the existing cooker feed for the hob & putting one cooker on the new ring and one on the old? I'm hoping for some practical rather than textbook advice as running new radial would be a real pain.[/quote]

TEZZA100
get your part p electrcian to comment on your options.

BLAKEY1963

Tezza100
Labourer
Labourer

by Tezza100 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback ;-) I'll probably move to plan B which is to use SMEG ovens which seem to be 13amp (probably just missing Pyrolytic cleaning) Part P or not it would break my heart to have to get an eletrician in just to connect some cookers.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:13 pm

it may break your heart, but the laws the law, and you may be expected to provide evidence of conformity if you ever come to sell your house (which you will one day) or for any insurance company in the event of a claim, and problems with either of those really will break your heart!!
this work is notifiable, by law, because you are not doing a like for like replacement. Also built in cookers must have their own dedicated, appropriately rated, installed and certified circuit, and thats a radial, not a ring. under the requirements of standards circuits under the IEE regulations the only ring circuit permitted is a socket circuit, with 2.5mm T&E.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:23 am