Radiator/Copper Pipe Lifetime
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mikeybrum
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator/Copper Pipe Lifetime

Post by mikeybrum » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am

How long will radiators and copper pipes last on a central heating system? I'm going to have a new boiler fitted and want to know whether I can just flush the existing system or should replace the whole lot. I guess the current system is at least 15 years old.

Obviously I can't fit the boiler myself, but if I do decide to replace the whole lot is there any legal reason why I can't do the radiators and pipework myself?

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

No - fitting radiators and pipework yourself is acceptable.

Your question about the lifetime of radiators and pipework is not as simple as you may think.

It all depends on:
how it was installed - sleeved and protected where necessary
flushed and inhibitors added
inhibitors added eveytime the system was drained.

If it was correctly installed, sleeved, coated/protected flushed with inhibitors added the system will be in very good condition and should cope with a new boiler for many more years.

Any of the above not done properly then there's a risk it may not cope with a new pressuried boiler and may leak.

Weigh up the costs - leave it and it may be ok. Or renew it all properly as described above, sleeved, coated, flushed and inhibitors added and you will not need to re-pipe or change radiators again in your lifetime.

htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1