Radiator Help - it's freezing!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wombat1
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator Help - it's freezing!

by wombat1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:01 pm

I've had gurgling radiators since the heating was turned back on a couple of weeks ago. While a plumber was fixing a tap for me on Wednesday, I asked him to sort out the gurgling. He bled the radiators and said that the pressure on my Keston Celsius 25 was too low - he raised the pressure to 1 - 1.5.

The boiler is on the ground floor and there are radiators on this floor and two further floors. The pump is on the first floor - but enclosed behind a washing machine/dryer and not accessible without removing panelling.

The gurgling has now stopped but suddenly none of the radiators are heating up - only mildly lukewarm and we're freezing! Is it pure coincidence that this happened after the pressure was raised? I have a Keston engineer coming - but not until midweek. Is there anything I can do in the meantime??? I know absolutely nothing about heating systems but am willing to learn quickly.

Thank you.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:10 am

Sounds as though you have not run the system regularly, as is needed to prevent air-locks due to hydrogen build-up caused by water/iron corrosion in the radiators. This is much more difficult to cure than individual radiator-bleeding.
I would have a plumber drain and refill the system using fresh corrosion-inhibitor additive (needs to be kept up to strength, which is why it is advisible to have its strength checked annually, during the regular service which I presume your system has not been treated to.).
A plumber may find the system is so full of iron oxide that a flush may be worthwhile (perhaps not the £600 powerflush).

wombat1
Labourer
Labourer

by wombat1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks for your reply - have only had the house for one winter so don't know what went on before.

I'll suggest your advice to the engineer.

Nimrod
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nimrod » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Wombat,

I suspect that the forum would be very interested to know what the Keston engineer reports. I know I would and it could prove useful to some else as you'll have a soution to yourr problem

I understood the Keston Celsius 25 had an integral pump so I would be curious to hear that you have one on a different floor in a cupboard.

Good luck and let's hope that it doesn't get much colder before the engineer calls and sorts you out.

B:o)

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:00 am

My new Potterton Promax 28 HE+ condensing combi requires you to reset the system after curing any fault condition, like low system pressure. This is easily done by turning the dial at the bottom of the boiler casing to "reset", the other positions being "rads & water", "off", "water", in that order. The boiler fires automatically then when you set it to the duty option you want. ( I seem to recall that you need to hold the dial in the reset position for a short time). Refer to the manual, which may need a read on a pdf file via the net.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1