All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
noddingtons
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator problem - hot downstairs, nothing upstairs

Post by noddingtons » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Hi
i have a traditional gravity system with boiler in the garage, cylinder in the bedroom and tank and feed/expansion in the loft.
every night the heating comes on but only the downstairs fires up. the upstairs (3 rads and one new towel rad in bathroom) do not except for the new towel rad.
does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
the feed tank is at should be, at the right level with the ball valve resting ontop of 3/4 full of water tank.
please advise
many thanks
N

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bobplum » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 pm

this towel rad how new is it
sounds like either air lock or the system needs to be balanced out
i would drain and start again shut down all rads and fill them one at atime starting nearest to the heat sorce and work away till they are all full bleeding them as you go
start the boiler and see how it goes if no luck shut them all down start the boiler and heat up one at a time as above
good luck

andf380
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by andf380 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 pm

There could be a air lock on the radiators try turning the radiator valves on the ones that are working downstairs off this will push more pressure to the ones upstairs pushing through any airlocks you have bled the radiators upstairs to ensure the air is totally out of them.
The valves on the radiators upstairs are open i take it check they are not shut
Andf380

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Post by DONFRAMAC » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 pm

It DOES sound as if your new towel rad. is robbing flow from the pre-existing 3. Reduce flow thro' the the towel airer by stopping-down the flow a lot, then bleed and balance the 3 rads. ( I am presuming you had the towel airer fitted with valves, if not, you do need them.)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:24 pm