radiator removal
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nivek24
Apprentice
Apprentice

radiator removal

by nivek24 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Hello,
I had a new Worster Bosh central heating boiler fitted last year, it replaced the type that has a copper cistern, low pressure type.
All the radiators get hot except the one in my front room, it seems cool at the bottom and warmer at the top.
I leaked a small amount of water from the radiator joint and this was dirty, so i think it may be blocked with sediment.
I did ask the fitters who fitted the boiler if the system had been cleaned, but got conflicting answers from them, so i dont think it was cleaned.
Can i just close the isolating valves, remove radiator, clean out, refit radiator, oped valves and bleed the radiator, will this be ok or should i do it another way.
Also i have to top the pressure up about every 6weeks, would it be wothwhile adding some sealer to the system while the radiator is off

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 pm

nivek24,
"Can i just close the isolating valves, remove radiator, clean out, refit radiator, oped valves and bleed the radiator, will this be ok
Also i have to top the pressure up about every 6weeks, would it be wothwhile adding some sealer to the system while the radiator is off"
YES and YES but open the valves when the radiator is off to make sure the blockage is not in the pipes.
end

nivek24
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nivek24 » Sat May 14, 2011 2:41 pm

thanks for your reply Stoneyboy,
I was intending to put some sealer in the system while i had the radiator off and maybe flush it first, but looking at a few of the older postings on cleaning an old system, i may cause more leaks.
Would sealer still work if the system was dirty?
I am sure the lads who fitted the system muttered something about leaving it alone, proberbly make it worse, or something on them lines.
thanks,
kevin.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

nivek24,
I don't see how a leak sealer can make things worse. The one I use looks very much like pva and it evaporates where there are leaks and seals them.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1