Radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mankind
Labourer
Labourer

Radiators

Post by mankind » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:02 pm

hi everyone,

The pipework going to and from my radiators are at different temps; one is cold and the other is hot, is this correct ?

Also and i think because of the above the bottom of the rad is cooler than the top.

any ideas ?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:19 pm

There is supposed to be a difference between the input and output pipes and this is quite normal.

Where your system differs is the amount of variation as it should only be a few degrees. Now if the radiators are cold at the bottom and the output is much cooler than the input, you have a circulation problem in the system. It could be simply a balancing problem.

There are other possibilities but as you have offered scant information it is rather difficult to be more precise.

mankind
Labourer
Labourer

Radiators

Post by mankind » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi plumbob,

what further information do you require ? and how do i balance my system ?

Cheers

Mankind

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 pm

The DIY projects section on this website has a topic explaining how to balance radiators.

For proper help you need to give as much information as possible when asking a question. Type of boiler? Description of heating system.? Does it have a hot water cylinder? Is it gravity or fully pumped? Are there zone valves? If so, one or two? How old is it? Is this a new problem? Has anything changed such as new radiators?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1