Raising an internal ground floor floor
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andyhull
Labourer
Labourer

Raising an internal ground floor floor

by andyhull » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi,

I am planning on making 2 groundfloor rooms into one. both are solid floors but one is about 70mm lower than the other(don't ask me why, the mind boggles). i would like to raise the floor to match the other. I was thinking of just laying concrete, then some thin insulation, then laminate flooring ontop.
does anbody have any other suggestions. i did think about using some form of dense foam then the laminate ontop. although the final use of this room will be the kithcen. so i was unsure about the strength when i come to put in the units for the oven etc etc.

any thoughts greatly received.

Andy

dannyppp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Raising an internal ground floor floor

by dannyppp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:41 pm

[quote="andyhull"]Hi,

I am planning on making 2 groundfloor rooms into one. both are solid floors but one is about 70mm lower than the other(don't ask me why, the mind boggles). i would like to raise the floor to match the other. I was thinking of just laying concrete, then some thin insulation, then laminate flooring ontop.
does anbody have any other suggestions. i did think about using some form of dense foam then the laminate ontop. although the final use of this room will be the kithcen. so i was unsure about the strength when i come to put in the units for the oven etc etc.

any thoughts greatly received.

Andy[/quote]

If the floor is flat enough and concrete has a damp proof membrane under it just lay 2x2 timbers down, buy 2" cavity wall batt insulation board (celotex) which are 450mm wide. lay your timbers allowing 450mm gaps for insulation and then lay 22mm t&g moisture resistant chipboard onto timbers, will give you approx 70mm in total. Timbers spacing is slightly larger than normal but more than strong enough. Hope this helps

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:45 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:55 am