RCD REQUIRMENTS FOR NEW CIRCUITS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

RCD REQUIRMENTS FOR NEW CIRCUITS

by TAM » Tue May 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I HAVE JUST WIRED FOUR NEW CIRCUITS FOR NEW EXTENTION 1X OVEN 1 X HOB 1 X KITCHEN LIGHTS 1 X KITCHEN SOCKETS ALL WIRING IS AT LEAST 50 mm FROM SURFACE. IS IT ONLY THE SOCKETS THAT I NEED TO HAVE RCD PROTECTED ? THE LIGHTING CIRCUIT ALSO INCLUDES LIGHTS AND A SHOWER EXTRACTOR FAN IN NEW ON-SUITE THE LIGHTS ARE 12 VOLT AND EXTRACTOR IS LOCATED IN THE ATTIC.(THERE ARE THREE SPARE WAYS ON RCD SIDE OF CU ) . MANY THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed May 13, 2009 11:37 am

Tam
have you notified building controls or got a registerd electrician in to do the work as it is a new circuit and covered by Part P of building regs and must by law be notified or installed by a an electrician that is registered or his company is to the domestic installers scheme.
The circuit needs to comply to BS7671:2008 and be tested and inspected with inspecting and test schedules and An EIC.
If not likelyhood is you have broken the law and your house insurance is invalid.
Be safe do it right.
KB

TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TAM » Wed May 13, 2009 5:34 pm

KB THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, BUILDING CONTROL ARE INVOLVED IN THE NEW EXTENTION AND I INTEND TO GET THE INSTALLATION INSPECTED AND TESTED AFTER I CARRY OUT THE WORK. I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE BEFORE I CALL TO GET IT INSPECTED. THANKS AGAIN

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Presumably the extension has planning permission , and is being monitored by BC, in which case they will want to see a certificate for the electrical installation before they "sign it off".
If it is not signed off this will appear on searches if you ever try to sell,or remortgage.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 7:03 pm

Seeing building controls have already been notified of work on extension, all work concerning this will be covered by it. Including electrical installation.
I'd would always recommend that circuits are RCD or RCBO protected even if cables are 50mm below surface of wall and mechanically protected, just in case any add ons later on.
Regarding the new circuits, your building controls officer will visit upon first fix of installation and do an inspection to make sure it complies to both BS7671:2008 (17th eds) and part p of building regulations.
Once they are happy with this you will then be given the green light to continue the next stage 2nd fix this will need schedules of inspection and schedules of test results and a Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC). You can do the testing yourself or get an electrician on board to help you with it, the test must be made using calibrated meter(s)
The controls may employ someone to test circuit for you if you are unable to do this, but will not issue EIC but cert saying it comforms to part p. They may also test it themselves if not happy with your results, if you have carried that out.

Is the en-suite within the extension or in a different location? If the location is different it will not be covered by the work notified for the extension and will need to be notified as a seperate application.
As far as installation goes, there will be a whole host of things to consider,
Cable sizing, fusing factors, de-rating, ambient temps, thermal insulation, diversity, permitted zones, containment, fixing methods, fault protection, basic protection. Isolation of fitted appliances, enviromental conditions. To name a few. Not something to be taken lightly, but I would suggest if you want to continue with project yourself, see if an electrician would be kind enough to give some on site help. Plus buy On-site guide and electricians guide to part p of building regulations both 17th edition updates will cost you about £35-40 for the pair, valuable information within.
Best of luck with project hope this helped, not trying to put you off.
But be safe, like to hear from you again and please do tell us how you went on.
KB

TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TAM » Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 pm

YES, THE EXTENTION HAS PLANNING PERMISSION, IS BEING MONITORED BY BC, AND WILL BE INSPECTED AND TESTED AFTER WORK CARRIED OUT.

TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TAM » Thu May 14, 2009 11:16 pm

YES, EXTENTION HAS PLANNING PERMISSION AND WILL BE INSPECTED AND TESTED

ban_all_sheds
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ban_all_sheds » Sat May 16, 2009 12:07 am

bull. If the cables are all more than 50mm deep then part a will be an issue

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat May 16, 2009 12:12 am

Last edited by rosebery on Sat May 16, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat May 16, 2009 3:04 pm

BAS
Do you mean part A of building regs regarding load bearing of walls and the chases may weaken the structure, if so you have a good point, there are guidlelines in both OSG and Electrician Guide to Part P concerning this, if remember right, a wall should not be chased more than 1 third of its depth and chases should not be back to back on partition walls nor seperate chases be within 300mm of each other, correct me if i'm wrong but that's what I understand it to be.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:46 pm

your extractor needs to be on the RCD

TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TAM » Fri May 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks guys , the cables are all more than 50mm from surface as the walls are all plasterboard with polystyrene on back 47mm thick then fixed to 25mm wooden straps on brick wall the cables are clipped to brick work.

TAM
Apprentice
Apprentice

by TAM » Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Another question, i have a three core cable going to a fan in utility room do i use the black or grey as my neutral and should i mark it blue.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat May 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Tam recommended colours for three core in this situation is black sleeved brown & used for sw. line , brown perm L and grey sleeved blue as neutral.
This agreed by IET, ECA, NAPIT, NICEIC, as best way,
regards Sparx

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 pm