Re: Sink waste smell!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Sink waste smell!

Post by Roy13 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Can somebody please tell me how I might get rid of the nasty bad egg smell that sometimes wafts up from the sink waste?

I have checked the u-bend for blockages and the hose that goes to the washing machine. Both were clear but I replaced it anyway and the problem still persists.

I'm afraid I know virtually nothing about plumbing and would be grateful for any help.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Roy.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Where does the waste pipe go to ? is it connected to any other waste pipes ?

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:19 pm

If you have smells coming from the sink plughole, the water seal is being broken. This is often caused by the draining water sucking the water from the trap instead of leaving a small quantity in as a seal.

Does it gurgle loudly after the bowl has emptied?

A cure may be to fit an anti syphon trap such as

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... 9&ts=58312

Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Roy13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:06 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Where does the waste pipe go to ? is it connected to any other waste pipes ?

htg[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I live in the flat above ground level. The waste pipe therefore joins the kitchen waste downstairs, before going into the drain.

I have enquired with my neighbour below and they have had no such problems.

Roy.

Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Roy13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:20 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]If you have smells coming from the sink plughole, the water seal is being broken. This is often caused by the draining water sucking the water from the trap instead of leaving a small quantity in as a seal.

Does it gurgle loudly after the bowl has emptied?

A cure may be to fit an anti syphon trap such as

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... 9&ts=58312[/quote]

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, it tends to gurgle when the washing machine empties out more than when the sink is emptied.

Fitting an anti syphon trap sounds great advice, cheap too! But can the washing machine waste hose be fitted to this?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:13 pm

You will lose the seal when downstairs uses their kitchen sink, an anti siphon trap will cure this.

htg

Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Roy13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for your quick response.

That sounds like good news for me as they are cheap to buy, but can I still connect the washing machine waste to the anti syphon trap?

Roy.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Agree - you definately have syphonage. You can't tee a WM directly into an anti syphon bottle trap but you can get a WM tee that fixes to the bottom of the sink with a spigot onto which your WM hose can be connected. The bottle trap fixes to that but you'll need quite of space to accommodate both. The alternative is to break into the waste pipe from the sink and fit a slightly different design tee which also allows you to connect the WM hose.

Cheers

Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Roy13 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:55 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]You will lose the seal when downstairs uses their kitchen sink, an anti siphon trap will cure this.

htg[/quote]

Not sure if you got my last post. What I would like to know is can I still fit the washing machine waste to the anti syphon trap or does this have to be plumbed in elsewhere?

Thanks,

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Whether this particular type of trap can be fitted depends on how the pipework is arranged. Certainly somehow a anti vac device can be fitted, and they also are available as an inline version too. You only need to fit one somewhere in the pipework preferably at the highest point.

Roy13
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Roy13 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 pm

That's sound advice, thank you very much. I will give it a go.

Roy.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:20 pm