Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Recomended bathroom extractor fan

by toplondonchef » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi there, some advice please;

Extractor fan in main family bathroom has packed up - it's a few years old and just a cheapy from one of the sheds so looking to replace.
The fan is vented out through the wall via a 100mm cut out and has a timer with over-run facility.

The bathroom is part tiled and has two outside walls so in the cold weather, condensation can be a problem and the steam from showers and baths seems to take ages to clear.
Would like to replace with a good powerful fan but unsure which model to go for and how much I need to pay, without paying over the odds

Bathroom fans all seem to vent via a 100mm (or so) cut out and seem to have on average, an air flow of 85 - 95 M3/H

Kitchen fans however seem to vent via a 150mm cut and have an air flow of 200-250 M3/H
Is it worth fitting a "kitchen" fan in the bathroom, with over-run timer, as surely the more air flow the better ? or is there a reason why this isn't done

Can you recomend a good quality fan that can really shift the steam, tried and tested

Many thanks for your help with this topic
David

Leo1981
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Recomended bathroom extractor fan

by Leo1981 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi david,

A 100mm fan would be fine unless you have an overly large bathroom, kitchens tend to be bigger hense the larger size. There are lots of different types of fan. Most are connected to the light switch in some way. Some have built in timers that are programmed to run for a set time after the light goes off. Others have built in humidity sensors that will run until the humidity level falls after a bath/shower. The fan will need to be installed by an electrician so perhaps ask what he recommends.

One thing you also need to consider is how fresh air will get into the room. The fan can't extract air unless there is a way for fresh air to get in as well. The normal method is a gap under the bathroom door but a breeze at ankle or calf height when you are fresh out of the shower isn't much fun. i have a humidity sensored fan as then it only comes on when its needed, (this stops it coming on in the middle of the night if you wake to go to the loo). i bought mine online but cant remember where from it was a while ago now, cost around £80.

hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:54 am