Red water from hot water taps
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
champagnesport
Labourer
Labourer

Red water from hot water taps

Post by champagnesport » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:31 pm

I had a power flush and new boiler fitted in May. In Oct started to use the heating system. Hot water seems fine but rads getting hottish upstairs and only warm downstairs. Had system re balanced, 3 new valves and tried forcing water downstairs. Had a new pump fitted ....still no joy, warm rads. Had a further power flush on Sat as heating man advised he must have missed something in May now causing blockage. I saw bright rusty red water being drained into sink and was told that was the colour of the chemicals being flushed around. The rads became hot after small flush and turning something up on the boiler.
PROBLEM ..Now I am getting red water out of my hot taps and shower which caused dry itchy skin as I showered before noticing. Called my engineer again who says he didn't flush the hot water tank, it can't be the chemicals (although the water looks identical). Am now advised the coils in the hot water cylinder must have burst and it is filling with the water from the rads. He is coming tonight but thinks I will need a new cylinder. I am concerned to know if this is really the case. I have just run all my hot water out of the tank until it became clear and cold. I have turned the heating up to full and the rads are hot but the cylinder is still stone cold. I also bled a few rads the water colour is like dark red/yellow/black.
Shouldn't he have power flushed until clear?
If the heating isn't heating the hot water tank does that mean the coils are still intact?
Are these chemicals damaging my new boiler?

Heatray
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Heatray » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:41 pm

There are simple tests your plumber can carry out which will ascertain whether the coil has perforated. (sounds like it has) What caused it? hard to say. A good life for a cylinder is 10 years +. Those chemicals in your domestic water are dangerous to children! don't use it.
My power flushing equipment uses very mild chemicals, same symbol as stomach acid, but relies on a very effective pump £2000 quids worth.The finished job will give you neutral water before inhibitors are added and these are(colourless)
A good local heating engineer can test the water.
Depending on the chemicals employed it is hard to say whether they are effecting your new boiler in any way (probably they are, get them out)
good luck

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1