RED WIRES

Postby ANNIE86 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi all! I recently bought an ex council house, and as I was wiring the new plugs/switches I noticed that the wiring are all different colours. Some of them are the old Black/red/green and yellow combo, but a lot of the upstairs are all just red wires!

Does anyone know when this would date back to? And am I going to have to get the house rewired?
ANNIE86
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="ANNIE86"]Hi all! I recently bought an ex council house, and as I was wiring the new plugs/switches I noticed that the wiring are all different colours. Some of them are the old Black/red/green and yellow combo, but a lot of the upstairs are all just red wires!

Does anyone know when this would date back to? And am I going to have to get the house rewired?[/quote]

ANNIE86

GET in an Electrcian to provide u with some advice.

BLAKEY1963
BLAKEY1963
Progress to next rank:
31.6%

Postby jaffa19 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:45 pm

I think you may find that if the power points are all in red you will need a sparky to sort things out, however, if the lighting seems to be all in red apart from the pendants in the ceiling this is quite normal and it's because the installation is more than likely to have metal earthed conduit and all of the drops to the light switching points are all live conductors, hope this helps a little.

I still would recommend getting a qualified electrician to carry out any work on your property.
jaffa19
Progress to next rank:
57.9%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!