redirecting balanced flue
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom thumb
Labourer
Labourer

redirecting balanced flue

by tom thumb » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:47 am

I have a twenty year old Barlo Balmoral 45F wall mounted fanned balanced flue boiler boiler. As I am now building an extention to the house, I need to extend/redirect the (rectangular shaped) balanced flue by about a metre. I have been told this is not possible and that I need a new boiler and because of new building regulations this is going to cost me in the region of £2,500. Why is this so expensive and if this is the case could I do some of the work like fitting the TRV's and programmable room thermostat myself.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:11 pm

It depends on the work that needs to be done as to what you would call a reasonable price. And how much the replacement boiler is.

Will the boiler have to be re-located ?

What's the make and model of the replacement boiler ?

Are they just fitting TRV's ? not new radiators - and are they fitting new radiators to the extension ?

Get a few more quotes, don't accept the first one. Its quite a difficult question to answer without seeing the job.

tom thumb
Labourer
Labourer

by tom thumb » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:03 am

Boiler is not being relocated. The existing radiators are staying and I will install a rad in the extention myself. Boiler prices in the latest Screwfix catalogue vary from about £620 to £860

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:15 pm

Well in that case yes it is very expensive. If you say £1500 for boiler, pipe and fittings (which is over priced the real price is probably £1000) then they're making £1000 profit for half a day's work

If it is what you say, and it's basically a boiler swap then I would say £1500 would be a fair price. Get some more quotes.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1