remote dimmer switch problems
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
screwy1
Labourer
Labourer

remote dimmer switch problems

Post by screwy1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 pm

I wonder if someone can help me. I've just installed a remote and touch control dimmer 600w 2 gang 1 way 2 plate size to power 10 GU10 50w spots and a 200w centre light, on a one way circuit. One gang on the switch works ok but the other will only switch on. To switch off and dim you have to press the gang that is working ok at the same time. Also when the earth is wired to the back of the metal plate this problem gang does not work at all. I tried wiring an ordinary dimmer at the same switch and this worked ok. Also I wired the remote dimmer to another double switch I have in the house and it seemed to work ok here. I'm now really confused and if someone could give me some answers or advise it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 pm

Not a lot to go on but if dimmer is rated up to 600w
does it not have a minimum load also?
most go from 250w-600w.
you have 500w on working half but only 200w on non working half, what happens if you swap them?
Another thought ... some remote dimmers are fussy about live / switch wire connections IE live in/out must be right way around, Regards SPARX

screwy1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by screwy1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks for replying. I've tried swapping them round and the same thing still happens. The centre light running at 200w works ok again but the the 10 50w halogen spots still has the same problem.
The switch I am using is a Varilight, code no. NS433. A just read somewhere that you are supposed to knock of 25% of the total wattage. Could the 500w be to much for the switch?
With regards minimum watts, I've just tried to find out on the internet but can't find any info.
Regards
Graham

screwy1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by screwy1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:48 am

Thanks for replying. I've tried swapping them round and the same thing still happens. The centre light running at 200w works ok again but the the 10 50w halogen spots still has the same problem.
The switch I am using is a Varilight, code no. NS433. A just read somewhere that you are supposed to knock of 25% of the total wattage. Could the 500w be to much for the switch?
With regards minimum watts, I've just tried to find out on the internet but can't find any info.
Regards
Graham

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Another thought while you research your switch , many dimmers are not compatable with electronic transformers as used on low voltage lights so simply won't work, sorry not more help,
B.W. SPARX

paulmc
Labourer
Labourer

Post by paulmc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:59 am

I'm having a similar problem with a 2x 400w varilight dimmer switch. I even bought a replacement. I was using it to control 2 sets of 8 50w halogens. I've downgraded to 35 watt and still having the same issue. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. When it fails the only way to get it working again is to reset the circuit breaker in the consummer unit. All very disappointing, I'm the process of returning one to the supplier; who say they will forward on the makers and send out a replacement. Looks like the overload protection may be to sensitive. I'll let you know how I get on. If you pass on anymore info you come across I'd appreciate it................cheers Paul. :?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:42 am