Removing a wall socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mattobri
Labourer
Labourer

Removing a wall socket

by mattobri » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello,
I need to remove a wall socket which is no longer required and wondered how this can be done safely. I can remove the socket and its housing but am unsure as to how I cap the remaining wires within the wall. Do I just use a crimped cable connector? I am worried as to the safety of the remaining wires which will still be live

Any help would be appreciated

Matt

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm

This has already been answered in earlier post. The socket shows the position of the wires in the wall. To remove the socket and hide where it was would dangerous as in the future someone could put a nail through the cable being unaware it existed. If it is being removed for example to stop children playing with it and a plate is put to replace socket but it is not plastered over and can be easily be seen than maybe. Junction boxes should be accessible. So in real terms all or nothing.

juli-juan
Apprentice
Apprentice

by juli-juan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:40 pm

u have to remove compleatly or put a blank plate over connections and these must be 30A rated or put under floor in joint box also 30A rated. if you dont know what u are doing call an electrician

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:58 pm

Also remember that junction boxes must be in a place that they can be easily inspected. In walls and under floors are not easily inspected.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:14 pm