Removing low ceiling to reveal original. PICS
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dee eye why
Labourer
Labourer

Removing low ceiling to reveal original. PICS

Post by dee eye why » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi

New to forum in need of some guidance. I recently bought a ground floor single storey 1 bed flat in a converted victorian school building (c. 1905). The flat was converted in 1983 and a low ceiling was added throughout. I would now like to get rid of the ceiling in my lounge/kitchen to reveal the original pitched roof as i think it would be a good feature. There is no loft access, but i managed to take some pictures through a spot light hole but cannot add them here for some reason.. The current ceiling is level with the top of the sash windows. There is at least 8 feet above this at the centre of the pitched roof.

I am looking for some advice on how to start removing the low ceiling. It is plasterboard with joists(?), in good condition. I also have new carpet which i don't want to ruin. It's early days as i need to work out whether it's worth the cost and hassle, and indeed whether i have permission.

Any tips, advice, pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Alex

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:02 pm

HI dee eye why,
don't see any problems regarding permission.
To properly protect the carpet you need to cover the whole carpet with polythene sheets and lay plywood boards over this area.
Then it's a case of getting stuck in with a hammer ripping the boards off.
The wood joist will be screwed or nailed together so either screwdriver or hammer. The battens across the length of you wall again most probally screwed or bolted in. So again screwdriver, rachet.
It's a pull down job nothing pretty just hard graft.
Regards and good luck, be safe, will be electric cables, so safely isolate.
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 pm