Repacing socket boxes
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
g newton
Labourer
Labourer

Repacing socket boxes

Post by g newton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a number of double an single power sockets that were fitted many years ago, the sockets do not have switches. they are fixed in place with screws top and bottom, where as all the new sockets are fixed with screws at the side. Is there any way of converting these boxes (set in the wall) so that I can replace the sockets with modern switched ones without fitting new boxes, with all the mess and redecoration involved
G newton

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm

If you find a way please share it as this has been a problem for decades!

It is possible to collapse a box inwards in the same way as glaziers do with window frames, making very little mess.

Bend sides in towards centre & top/bottom in as well, then scraper is used to make a clearence tapering away from box at the back.

remove fixings and with long nosed pliers 'wiggle' box out, taking care not to damage cables, which you have previously made dead of course!

once out clean out debris and fit new box, not simple but do-able with care,
regards Sparx

gnewton
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gnewton » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks,
I am looking for a conversion method, without removing the boxes as they are in a old stone and rubble wall, so replaving the boxes is difficult
G Newton

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:46 pm