Replace Window With Patio Doors in Timber Frame House
Questions answered and a range of solutions on problems and issues encountered with timber framed buildings

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mbiker@tlen.pl
Labourer
Labourer

Replace Window With Patio Doors in Timber Frame House

Post by mbiker@tlen.pl » Sat May 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a timber frame house and I'm wondering whether it would be possible (cost?) to replace a window with patio doors. The house is 30 years old and the window is at the right height. I know this is a fairly easy job in traditionally built houses but what about the timber frame ones? Could you please advise?

Thanks
Mike

lucylincoln
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replace Window With Patio Doors in Timber Frame House

Post by lucylincoln » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi Mike,

This is definitely a feasible project, it will take a lot more planning and will cost a bit more than a standard DIY project, but it shouldn't put you off buying a house - timber framed buildings are architectural gems.

Do you know if the house has a brick outer skin or not?
Often the brick skin and the inner timber frame are joined by metal ties. Depending on the structure you need different steel lintels which support the windows/doors from above and this may involve altering the brickwork skin. Might be best to get the opinion of a structural engineer if you need further help as when additional metal supports are built to support the door, some of this brickwork might need to be removed which will need further work.

Good luck with the project!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:31 am