Replaceing Ceiling Light With new Fitting With Only 3 Wires

Postby Thenexus » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi,
I am having trouble with the wiring for a ceiling light. I have 4 wires coming out of the ceiling, 2 red and 2 black. These were not attached to any fitting and were taped up.

The fitting I am trying to use has 3 wires yellow, blue and brown. I need to know what goes where?
Thanks for any help.
Thenexus
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 pm

In truth, it would be impossible to inform you of what you have.
What were these cables attached to originally. Your subject says REPLACING, so you most be replacing something.

If cables were not attached to anything, then you need some test equipment to determine what you have. Also no mention of any earth cables??? If there is no earth present, you must not connect class 1 metallic fittings.
kbrownie

Postby ericmark » Fri May 05, 2017 2:14 pm

I would guess when you say yellow you mean green/yellow, and I would guess one cable goes to switch and one is supply, so likely one wire on each cable connects to a wire on other cable without connecting to lamp.

The problem is we don't know which wire, so some testing is required.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!