replacement of consumer box

Postby sinead.ohalloran » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:03 am

I purchased my flat six years ago with an existing consumer box. I have decided to redo my kitchen and despite the fact that I am not putting in any additional lights etc I was told by the kitchen surveyor that I needed a new consumer box. I was then told by another electician that a new box was not necessary as while it was old it was not a really old one. What should I do?
Sinead
sinead.ohalloran
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Tom_S » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Hi Sinead,

Sounds like the consumer unit is ok. If the electrician ok'd it and you aren't putting anything heavy duty onto your electric supply you should be fine.

By the sound of things, the kitchen chappie was expecting you to say 'oh really' at which point he would pass his mate's business card who would just happen to be an electrician.
Tom_S
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!