Replacement tap handles
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bungler
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacement tap handles

by Bungler » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Can anyone suggest source of parts for out of production taps to save me replacing 30 year old bath mixer? One handle’s broken but tap is otherwise OK and replacing it would involve dismantling then reconstructing and retiling side of built-in bath (tiles also 30 years old). Lunn’s website shows handle described as ‘UNK Chrome Mk 4’. I assume UNK is manufacturer who’s no longer in business.

Anyone know of a used or ‘remaindered’ plumbing parts scrapyard somewhere with a mail order service? Alternative suggestions gratefully received. I'd provide a picture but don't know how so advice on this, suitable for the not quite computer literate, would be welcome too!

Rico
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Rico » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 am

bunlger,

The chances are youre not going to get a replacement tap handle to match the one you still have.

Take the brokwn one to your local plumbers merchant, they sell things called Tap Revivors, which give you a new tap body and handle.

Wont be the same as you have now but they will match each other.

Cheers
Rico

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:27 pm

try a universal tap conversion kit - available from any plumber merchant

Might work

Bungler
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bungler » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Rico & Htg engineer

Sincere thanks for your replies. I had a look at kits but am unsure they'd fit - the tap appears to have unusually large headgear for which I managed to get a large enough replacement washer only after trying B&Q, Homebase and three plumbers suppliers (last one had one which they gave me free of charge).

I've repaired the handle with a drilled and shaped brass block epoxied inside the 'shroud' type handle (now you know why I sign myself 'Bungler'!). If it doesn't work out I'll try the kit solution.

Thanks again for your advice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:21 am