replacing a 2 gang 2 way switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
piratedad
Labourer
Labourer

replacing a 2 gang 2 way switch

by piratedad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi, want to replace a 2 gang 2 way switch. Old switch is wired like this:

left side
L1 - red
L2 - red
L3 - Black

right side
L1 - yellow
L2 - red
L3 - no wire

there is also a short red wire between the left side L1 and the right side L2

Looking at the new switch, it's got L1, L2 and Common on both sides

Would really appreciate any help.
Thanks
Steve

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 pm

I have tried to work out what you have since L3 not used I will assume L1 is common this would mean old L2 = new L1 and old L3 = new L2. But we seem to be missing wires each red wire will have either a black or a yellow and blue wire with it and if that’s true then missing one black and one blue wire. The link may explain missing blue but still missing a black and when I checked a switch in my junk box common was L3 which would mean a wire has fell out? As a result I can’t be sure plus normally L1, L2, L3 at the top of a switch would mean L3, L2, L1 at the bottom. Listing right and left makes it harder to work out what connection is what. It is very unlikely L2 is common but either L1 or L3 may be common and in practice I tend to look at switch shape as much as markings and if not sure I use meter. Sorry I can’t help more if you can group which wires are from which cable then may be I can do a better job.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:35 pm