Replacing a Fireplace with back boiler...HELP please
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Skinner.Daddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing a Fireplace with back boiler...HELP please

Post by Skinner.Daddy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 am

Hi,

I have a Gas central heating system. There is a gas fireplace in my front room which is looking dated and we want to replace it with a modern design that is flatter to the wall.

The problem is that behind the fire is a back boiler. Are back boilers attached to fires or are they separate units?

Any advice for me? do I need to look for a specific fireplace, if so where?

Thanks a lot for your help

Jon

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:51 am

Back boiler and fire have to be compatible, you cannot just fit any fire. Some back boilers only have a choice of 1 or 2 fires.

The boiler manufacturers instructions should tell you which fires are compatible. If you let me know the make and model i may be able to advise more.

Replacement fires aren't cheap normally £300 - £400 what you have to ask yourself is - how long will the boiler last, is it in good working order ? is it worth spending £400 on a new fire or would it better to save and install a combi and a new fire (there'll be a lot more choice of fires and most people prefer the inset fires)

Skinner.Daddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Skinner.Daddy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Thanks for the reply.

The fire is a Baxi Bermuda GF2 Super

and the boiler is one of the following - Baxi Bermuda 45/3 OR 57/3

I guess it looks like I'll need a new fire and boiler. Not sure how long it's been fitted but the date range on Baxi website is 1996 -2002 so somewhere in between there. Do you think it's better to get another fire with back boiler or is there a better solution?

Thanks again for your help

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

You're talking between £400 for a radiant fire to £800 for a more decorative fire. Alot of money to spend on an old boiler, i would recommend saving and getting a new boiler and fire.

The type of heating system you require depends on the size of your house and the number of bathrooms, you have a choice of a system boiler or a combi boiler. For an average 2/3 bed house and 1 bathroom - you can get a combi boiler from £550ish.

There's alot of gas fires to choose from. Most people prefer live fuel effect inset gas fires.

Hope this helps

Skinner.Daddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Skinner.Daddy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:55 am

Ok that's fine.

So best to leave it and get a combi boiler and then I can get just pretty much any fire I want?

So I'm gonna be looking around the £1000 mark would you say?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:23 pm

It's up to you - but to me it makes more sense to upgrade than spend money on an old boiler and fire.

You're talking £550ish for boiler, a good fire like a Valor Dream could cost between £300 - £500. Then you need to decide if the radiators and pipework should be upgraded ??

Then you have the installation costs.

Probably £1700 - £2000 in total.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1