Replacing electric panel heating and related issues
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
geojay
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing electric panel heating and related issues

by geojay » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 am

OK, I've just made an alarming discovery about the electric panel heaters (all centrally controlled by relays and a timer unit) in my flat. Basically, the supply cables have perished and where their bad design has them entering the units in a tight bend, all three metal cores are exposed. icon_eek.gif So, time for their replacement!

My initial reaction is to replace them with gas central heating. Is there any reason I should consider other options? My considerations are initial cost, running cost, effectiveness and any value added to the flat when coming to sell it.

If gas central heating is the choice then I need to get a gas supply to the flat. Annoyingly, my flat missed out on gas central heating after a previous occupant exercised their right to buy (from the housing association) just before the block was fitted with gas central heating. Therefore, there is a gas supply and meters in the basement. There's a main pipe coming in, with a row of 'T' joints, each with a meter coming off. It ends in a capping joint. There's also a second supply leading straight to a meter. Does this second supply indicate the first supply is at capacity? If the first supply has capacity, can the supply company simply fit a meter or do Wales & West still need to be involved?

Thanks!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:07 pm

If they still work, and are in good condition, why not just have them re-wired ?

If you do not have a gas meter or gas supply then it can be expensive to have a new supply installed.

The other option is a wet electric heating system (electric combi maybe)

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 am

I think gas offers the cheapest running costs by far compared to electricity, and because it is the most common form of domestic heating, will probably make the flat easier to sell. The downside to this though will be the installation cost which may make this option a non starter.

Electric combi's or thermal stores seem to be very popular in small flats these days, but they are not exactly renowned for their reliability.

My guess is someone has had gas installed after the initial installations which would account for the extra single supply and meter. Unfortunately, I doubt if the supply company would allow any of these existing mains be used for your supply, but would insist a new supply be brought in from the street. Oh, gone are the good old days when they would do this for free!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1