replacing ensuite extractor fan but no earth connection
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trebor-trix
Labourer
Labourer

replacing ensuite extractor fan but no earth connection

Post by trebor-trix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Morning,
so my shower extractor fan failed recently, though the light still worked, the fan started but didn't run for very long, i chose to replace just the fan, bought a Manrose MF100S from Screwfix, removed the old fan, only difference was the new fan had no 'earth' connection.
sought some advice, and tucked the earth wire out of the way and insulated.
But on wiring up the new fan, using just N & L wires, the fan runs, despite the switch still being off..
checked the wiring in the junction box that feeds the light & fan, nothing seems amiss.
the new fan has a movable blade fuse connecter for determining how long the fan runs for, 3 mins - 25 mins, tried different slots, it still runs, even, when switched off though..
any thoughts..

trebor-trix
Labourer
Labourer

Re: replacing ensuite extractor fan but no earth connection

Post by trebor-trix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:10 pm

now resolved, my 'go to electrical help neighbour' returned home, the 'earth' wasn't an earth..

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: replacing ensuite extractor fan but no earth connection

Post by Mr White » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:43 pm

A fan with a timer uses 3 wires, Live, Neutral and switched Live

Are you sure it was the earth you did not connect?

It may also be that who ever installed it did not know and used a twin and earth and the earth cable as a switched live. If they have you should change the cable to a 3 core and earth and do the job properly.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:45 pm