Replacing F+E Tank Ball Valve
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrew-webber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing F+E Tank Ball Valve

by andrew-webber » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:33 am

Hi There - Just a quick query please to check that I do not have to do anything special when replacing the ball valve in my F+E Tank.

I will obviously shut off the incoming mains water at the stop cock before I start. I do not think that I need to drain the F+E tank, as the water level is quite low in it anyway.

Is there anything else that I really need to do besides undo the nuts on the old and install the new valve and adjust it. I was thinking that PTFE tape around the joint may be a good idea - is this typically done?

How much water should I allow for in the F+E tank - about 100mm?

Many thanks.

Andrew

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:34 pm

andrew-webber,
You will probably need a high pressure ball valve, if a tap adaptor type connection is used check the old washer before re-assembly otherwise replacement is as you describe.
To comply with regulations you should use a part 2 valve.
About 1/2 fill the tank.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:09 pm

"Hi There - Just a quick query please to check that I do not have to do anything special when replacing the ball valve in my F+E Tank."

No nothing particularly special.

"I will obviously shut off the incoming mains water at the stop cock before I start. I do not think that I need to drain the F+E tank, as the water level is quite low in it anyway."

No you don't need to drain it but be prepared to get your arm wet if you drop anything in it in the process!

"Is there anything else that I really need to do besides undo the nuts on the old and install the new valve and adjust it. I was thinking that PTFE tape around the joint may be a good idea - is this typically done?"

If its a tap connector on the end of the feed pipe (which it typically will be) you don't need PTFE on the threads of the new valve. However, I would recommend you replace the fibre washer on the tap connector.

"How much water should I allow for in the F+E tank - about 100mm?"

About whats in there now would seem to be a good plan.

HTH

Cheers

andrew-webber
Apprentice
Apprentice

by andrew-webber » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

Many thanks for the information and clarification

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:24 pm