Replacing fibreboard on walls
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacing fibreboard on walls

by alexeix » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:34 am

Hi,

My 1930s bungalow has had a kitchen added to the rear at some point and unfortunately, the brickwork only appears to be single skin.
The interior walls seem to be lined with some kind of fibreboard and there is damp and light mould forming.

I'm considering stripping out the fibreboard and replacing it with insulation and plasterboard.

So two questions:
1. is there a plasterboard product which incorporates an additional layer of insulation and if so what's it called?

2. Should I be concerned about the possible presence of asbestos, when removing the fibreboard?

The fibreboard is damp and needs to come out, but I also need some insulation to improve the situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ricky68
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Replacing fibreboard on walls

by ricky68 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:53 am

the board you are asking about is called thermal board,this board alone wii not meet regs for a single wall dweling,you will need to install a independent wall lining in metal or timber and put 100mm insulatoin inside it and then board over with thermal board.this will meet regs .but you will have to check the thickness of materials for this application

alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Replacing fibreboard on walls

by alexeix » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:45 pm

[quote="ricky68"]the board you are asking about is called thermal board,this board alone wii not meet regs for a single wall dweling,you will need to install a independent wall lining in metal or timber and put 100mm insulatoin inside it and then board over with thermal board.this will meet regs .but you will have to check the thickness of materials for this application[/quote]

Hmmm...I do understand what you're saying about building regs, but this is purely a temporary measure to last until next spring, when the house will be demolished (should have mentioned that important fact). So the job is purely intended to improve the situation until then.

If there are batons already beneath the fibreboard though, I will be insulating as well.

Any comments about the possible presence of asbestos? Is this something which would normally have been used in such an extension?

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:34 pm

tere is a plasterboard product with insulation.Ask in your local builders merchants.
I would doubt that asbestos would be associated will this system, but if you see anything suspicious proceed with caution

alexeix
Apprentice
Apprentice

by alexeix » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:27 am

So I found the product which has insulation included, however, I also subsequently found that for a kitchen, a moisture resistant board is recommended.

Do you think it would be sufficient to use the insulated board and paint it with a silk-type emulsion?

Otherwise, I'm going to have to use two layers of plasterboard and the total thickness will be something like 65mm, plus the batons underneath.

Any comments?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:42 pm