Replacing old compression fittings

Postby Gordon White » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 pm

I have a 25 year old central heating system, with 10mm microbore pipework and manual valves. I'm changing to Thermostatic Rad Valves and have hit a problem. I'm having difficulty removing the old brass compression rings from the pipe ends. Any tips on how to do this?
Gordon White
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby acsimpson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Cut it diagonally with a junior hacksaw. Just be very carefull not to cut into the pipe, you should find you can get it off just before you finish sawing it.
acsimpson
Progress to next rank:
4.3%

Postby htg engineer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Junior hacksaw, just be careful not to cut the pipe too.

hg
htg engineer

Postby uk_ducati » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:40 pm

hi

if you dont want to risk cutting all the way to the pipe another good method is just cut it as close to the pipe as poss and then using a flat blade screwdriver, insert it into saw groove just made and then twist. it snaps the olive off without damaging the pipe.

paul
uk_ducati
Progress to next rank:
20%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!